Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Day 3: Genesis 25:27-35:27

When there is nothing left I can do, how do I treat others?

Scripture:
Genesis 31:49
And Mizpah; for he said, The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.
Observation:
Today's passage has a lot of stuff in it that I just don't like. It is full of lies, deceit, cheating, jealousy, and stealing. Wash, rinse, repeat.  Although a case could be made for one being more at fault than another, all the characters had issues.  One thing that makes it so frustrating is that one generation didn't learn from the previous how it just doesn't pay to be dishonest.

After Jacob abruptly took his family and possessions and left, God told Laben in a dream not to speak to Jacob either good or bad. So Laben chased him down...and Mizpah. It is not mean or accusing, just saying that God will watch over and take care of the other person.

Application: 
Misunderstandings and purposeful falsehoods plague us.  I want to scream the truth from the mountains, but will that solve the problem?  Probably not.  Sometimes all I can do, especially when there is nothing left to do, is give it to God.  He knows the situation and the perfect solution.  He expects us act uprightly and follow His leading, but then we need to be willing to let go.  He can handle it.  Maybe not as quickly as we would like, but His timing is perfect.

When someone says something about me that isn't true, I'll try to remember Laben and Jacob, and realize that there may be a different perspective that is motivating that person to do or say things I don't like. I might not see or speak to the person when he/she is (in my opinion) being unreasonable or malicious, but I can pray and wish God's blessings on his/her life.  Reconciliation is possible, and it is a lot better and easier if I don't unnecessarily retaliate.


Prayer:
Dear Lord,
Help me today to not worry about what others say about me or do to me.  You know the truth and how to "fix" it.  Give me silence or the words to say to those who malign me.

8/22/12

No comments:

Post a Comment